Arena 1.5:Community guidelines
(Difference between revisions)
Revision as of 13:06, 4 November 2009
- Choose a single topic for your article, or focus on the item you are reviewing.
- Try to write in a balanced and interesting way.
- Write in the most appropriate language. If you are using Arena in Sweden, then Swedish may be the best choice for your article.
- Keep it friendly. Avoid patronization and conceit, as these will alienate readers.
- Pay close attention to spelling and grammar. A misplaced letter can change the meaning of a whole sentence.
- Do not litter your writing with exclamation marks!!! or question marks???
- Avoid writing in CAPITALS. If your words need extra emphasis, try using more emphatic words.
- Keep your sentences short - try to have no more than one clause (usually marked with a comma) in a sentence.
- Refer to the reader directly - "you may agree" is more engaging than "the reader may agree".
- Group related sentences into paragraphs.
- Avoid using abbreviations, slang or text message shorthand that other Arena users may not understand.
- End with a closing point that relates to your opening point.
- Balance your argument. A one-sided rant is likely to irritate readers.
- Try to learn from the way that magazine and newspaper articles and reviews are written.