Arena 1.5:Community guidelines
We want you to enjoy using and contributing to Arena. To ensure that Arena remains a friendly, positive and productive place to be, please adhere to the following guidelines.
These guidelines describe the conduct required of Arena users. These guidelines are not exhaustive. We reserve the right to modify these guidelines at any time, effective upon posting.
By logging in to Arena, you agree to abide by these guidelines as modified from time to time. Any violation of these guidelines could result in the suspension or termination of your account or such other action as your Arena administrator deems appropriate. If you want to report any violations of these guidelines, please e-mail your Arena administrator.
Your general responsibilities
Arena enables people to share information about themselves, their personal tastes, and their opinions regarding products and services. We cannot and do not warrant, verify, or guarantee the quality, accuracy, or integrity of information that you may access. You understand that you shall remain solely liable for any and all information, text, images, photographs, graphics, email addresses, web pages, reviews, postings, and other materials ("Content") that you upload, download, link to or transmit to Arena.
Prohibited content and activities
Arena may be used for lawful purposes only. We reserve the right to restrict any uses, or remove any Content that we determine in our sole discretion is harmful to our systems, network, reputation, or goodwill, to other Arena users, or to any third party. The following non-exhaustive list details the kinds of conduct and Content that is prohibited:
- The upload, download, or transmission of any Content that would violate, or would facilitate the violation of, any applicable law, regulation, or Arena rule or policy.
- The upload, download, or transmission of any Content that infringes the intellectual property rights or other proprietary rights of others, including, without limitation, copyright, trademark, patent, or trade secrets.
- The upload, download, or transmission of any Content that includes incitement to unlawful behaviour, is unlawful, libellous, defamatory, obscene, pornographic, indecent, lewd, harassing, threatening, harmful, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, abusive, inflammatory, or otherwise objectionable.
- The upload, download, or transmission of any harmful Content, including, without limitation, viruses, trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancelbots, or any other computer programming routines that may damage, interfere with, surreptitiously intercept, or expropriate any system, program, data, or personal information.
- The upload, download, or transmission of any Content offering or disseminating fraudulent goods, services, schemes, or promotions (such as money-making schemes, chain letters, or pyramid schemes).
- The unauthorised use of Arena for commercial purposes such as advertising, promotion, or solicitation.
- The impersonation of any person or entity.
- The grooming of minors.
- The forging of email communication or any part of an email message.
- Sock puppetry. This is the creation of more than one Arena account by a single person, for use by that person, for the purpose of influencing forum content and trying to engineer and/or control debates.
- Trolling. This is the use of an Arena account to repeatedly breach community guidelines, or otherwise disrupt the community.
- Spamming. This is the use of an Arena account to post the same or similar message repeatedly, with or without use of botnets.
Tips for safety online
- When writing an article or review, or sending a message to someone that you are not certain you can trust, do not disclose personal information, such as name, telephone number, postal address, email address, satnav location, bank details, or other details that may be used maliciously.
- Do not disclose your Arena password to anyone.
- Do not endanger yourself or others in the information or opinions you choose to share in articles, reviews and messages in Arena.
Tips for security and etiquette
- If you include links to external services and resources, such as websites or online documents, ensure the wesite and its content, or document content, are suitable for use by all Arena users. Remember that some Arena users may be minors. Certain external services and resources may be blocked by your Arena service provider.
- Do not contribute malicious, offensive or illegal material to Arena. Such content will be withdrawn and the author may be traced through Arena's activity logging system and/or other methods. Remember that Arena users in other jurisdictions may be subject to laws that do not apply to you, or vice versa.
Tips for writing articles and reviews
- Choose a single topic for your article, or focus on the item you are reviewing.
- Do not include spoilers or reveal crucial plot elements of the story you are reviewing.
- Do not write single-word reviews, such as "Recommended" or "Awful".
- Try to write in a balanced and interesting way.
- Write in the most appropriate language. If you are using Arena in Sweden, then Swedish may be the best choice for your article.
- Keep it friendly. Avoid patronization and conceit, as these will alienate readers.
- Pay close attention to spelling and grammar. A misplaced letter can change the meaning of a whole sentence.
- Do not litter your writing with exclamation marks!!! or question marks???
- Avoid writing in CAPITALS. If your words need extra emphasis, try using more emphatic words.
- Keep your sentences short - try to have no more than one clause in a sentence. A clause is a piece of information in a sentence, usually separated from the rest of the sentence with a comma.
- Refer to the reader directly - "you may agree" is more engaging than "the reader may agree".
- Group related sentences into paragraphs.
- Avoid using abbreviations, slang or text message shorthand that other Arena users may not understand.
- End with a closing point that relates to your opening point.
- Balance your argument. A one-sided rant is likely to irritate readers.
- Try to learn from the way that magazine and newspaper articles and reviews are written.
Do create tags that contain or meet the following:
- Positive adjectives relevant to the item being tagged.
- No more than one or two words.
Do not create tags that contain or meet any of the following:
- Profane or obscene language.
- Incitement or spitefulness.
- Tags that may harass, abuse or threaten other Arena users.
- Tags that may reveal personal information about children.
- Tags that promote illegal conduct.
- Tags that do not respect the community guidelines (see above).
Do not attempt to circumvent the foregoing by creating such tags in a different language.
Tips for nicknames
Do not use a nickname that contains or amounts to any of the following:
- Profane or obscene language.
- Incitement or spitefulness.
- That may harass, abuse or threaten other Arena users
- That that may reveal personal information about children
- That promotes illegal conduct
- That does not respect the community guidelines (see above).
Do not attempt to circumvent the foregoing by creating a nickname in a different language.