Libraries are managed by using databases containing information about each item that they hold in stock. The information held includes classifications for the content or subject of each item, such as 'adult fiction', 'junior fiction', 'periodicals' and 'reference'. The library may then be searched by using these categories. This is useful for cataloguing by library staff, but not always so useful for library users.
Arena uses a system of tags, which enable Arena users to link items in the library in ways more meaningful to them. More specifically, tags provide a way to link any item in the library to any other, in terms of ideas, themes or interests. For example, classic novels may be linked together by associating them with a 'classics' tag.
A single tag may be used to create more complex links for special interest groups and clubs. For example, if you are interested in sailing, you may use a 'sailing' tag to link books about boat maintenance, sailing-related novels, sailing skills, boat racing, biographies of famous sailors, sailing magazines, seaborne photography, museums, art, and so on, which would normally belong to a disparate range of categories. In this way, you may find all these items at once by searching using the 'sailing' tag.
The Tag Panel displays the tags associated with the catalogue record selected from your search results.
By clicking on a tag in the Tag Panel, Arena will find all catalogue records which are associated with that tag.
If you are logged in to Arena, you may add tags to the catalogue record.
If you are logged in, you may also create tags and associate them with catalogue records, and manage your tags.
A plus symbol (+) beside a tag means that you are not yet using this tag. A minus symbol (-) beside a tag means that you are using this tag.
A tag cloud is a panel which displays up to 10 frequently used tags added by Arena users. Tags are shown in different font sizes, depending on how frequently they are used, with the most frequently used tags shown in a largest font.
By clicking on a tag in the cloud, Arena will find all catalogue records which are associated with that tag.
There are three types of tag cloud:
- Inspirational tag clouds. These show the most popular tags used. This is the most commonly used type of cloud.
- Discovery tag clouds. These show tags related to a search result. as you search the catalogue, the relevant tags are added to the cloud, creating a discovery trail. You may then use the tag cloud to make related searches, and retrace your discovery trail.
- Global tag clouds. These contain tags from the central service regardless of whether the title exists in the local database. This type of cloud is not often used.
If you are logged in, you may create new tags and associate them with catalogue records. You may also adopt tags
- Search for an item to which you would like to add a tag. To learn more see Search.
- Click the item's title. The Catalogue Record Detail screen for the item will open.
- A plus symbol (+) beside a tag means that you have not yet adopted this tag.
- A minus symbol (-) beside a tag means that you have adopted this tag.
- Click the plus symbol (+) to adopt this tag, or click the minus symbol (1) to un-adopt this tag.
- Locate the Tag panel in the right area.
- Type the new tag, and then click Add tag(s).